torsdag 17. april 2014

The Fabric

A important part of making a costume is getting the materials.
More specific for this post, the Fabric !

I went to the fabricstore not long ago (I'm going to be honest, it was back in january.)

Prior to the trip to the fabricstore I had spendt countles hours on the world-wide-web,
searching for the perfect fabric.

I looked at fancy patterened fabric, and WOW, there are alot of amazing patterns!

Here are some examples:



I mean come on! Look at them! Tell me these are not simply amazing?
To my slight dissapointment, I was told by my wise mother that I had to look at what kinda fabric it was.

Haha, silly me. I can't sow a dress in quilting fabric.

So I started to put myself into the whole "different fabric" world.
There are alot of different kinds of fabric, and man it was dificult understanding all the terms.

So basically (for you non-pros like me) this is what I have understood:

The type of fabric is decided by what kind of "substance" its made of,
Wool, Cotton....      That wasn't really a shock.
But fabric is also decided by how its made. How the threads are put togheter.
Different techniques give different kind of fabric.

Stretchy - Non stretchy
Thick - Thin 
Soft - Rough 

How a dress will "fall" is also decided by what kind of fabric it's made of.
And I wanted my dress to fall just as I imagined, so I decided to go to the fabric store!
(As mentioned in the top of this entry)
I got my mother to drive me to a different town, so I could check out and feel the different fabrics.
The store had tall and wide shelves with all kinds of fabric. It was truly amazing!

Picture found online. From same store. 


I walked up and down the shelves while feeling the fabrics.
 I ended up liking the fabric called "Chenille" and it fell nicely.

I tried putting the different colors next to eachother so I would find a nice combination.
And as an indecisive person this took alot of time! Luckily my mom didn't seem to mind.
She wanted me to take my time and figure out exacly what colors I wanted.

In the end I got 4 different kinds of colors.
  1. Cobolt
  2. Turquoise
  3. Antique blue 
  4. White


The fabric felt nice and soft. Aswell as it felt strong, so hopefully it wont easily tear.
I bought alot of fabric..  alot!
 and it was then I realised how big the project I had taken on was!

This is me holding only the Cobolt fabric!


In the end was the fabric I got plain and without any fancy patterns.
Though that means I have the possibility to test my own craftmanship,
and try to make it fancy somehow!

Stay tuned, for more of my noobness, when I try to figure out how to make it FANCY!

~Cosplay Noob Tuva~


1 kommentar: