tirsdag 21. januar 2014

Polymorph Plastic ~ Experimenting Time!

I have looked up alot of different materials that I would like to try out, and maybe use for my costume.
Given the fact that I am pretty new to the whole "Costume making" thing, there is a lot of things I need to research, and consider. 
It's New and Exciting for me, but also confusing. 

I'm coming to this point where I think I'll soon have all the materials I will need for this costume, and I cant wait to start the process of actually making it.
But before I start on the actual costume, I have decided to try out the difernt materials I buy. 
And that is what I did today!


I got a package-note in the mail. At first I was a bit confused.
"I didn't order anything more.." I thought, and tried to think really hard.
What on earth was waiting for me at the posthouse?
I really had no idea. I really couldn't remember. 
But I don't really blame myself either. I have ordered alot of stuff, and I didn't really keep track of everything. I'm pretty unorganized in that way.

Picture from here

After checking my E-mail, I discovered that it was my "Polymorph Plastic"!



Polymorph is a plastic-material that melts at around 62 degrees celsius. 
It is therefore easy to mold and make into the form you wish and want. 
I am planning to use it for smaller details on my costume. I ended up buying alot of this material, mostly because it seems interesting and fun, and I am probably going to use it at a later opportuinty. 

Here's a little polymorph on a small plate
The polymorph looks like round pieces of rice. And the texture felt kinda like soap. 

I took a small pot and filled it with a bit of water, and started to heat it up.



After a little while I put a small handful of the Polymorph into the water.
Polymorph in the left side of the pot


The polymorph turned transparent in the water. At first I let em lose into the pot, and feared it would be difficult to get em out of the water, but as I experienced, the polymorph kinda sticks togheter into a ball of something that reminded me of frog-eggs. 
It was easy to get out of the water, and it wasn't really that warm, so it wasnt uncomfertable to work with. 

After taking it out of the water I started to squeeze the small pellets togheter into one big mass.
It was facinating to work with, and alot of fun.


First I tried to make a heart, but it turned out more like a T,
So I decided to put it into the water again, and then make it into a T instead.

Yeah it's pretty awesome, If you're not pleased with a result, you can just reheat it, and remold it!


Here is the result of my first time working with this material.
After I was finished, I let it to cool down for like 10 minutes.

Once it's cooled down completely, it returns to a white, and hard state.

I also bought some colored powder, that I can use to make it prettier, but since this was just an "experiment" I decided to save that for later.

Here is also a picture of my dog, who was nosing around me while I was working with the Polymorph. He thought I was making food, and was probably hoping to get a snack.
Silly dog~


~Cosplay Noob~

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar